NSClient++ with Nagios 4 shows MSSQLSERVER service is not running

We have a Nagios4 Core deployment and it seems to be working very well with only a couple hiccups. We are having an issue with monitoring the MSSQLSERVER service on our SQL server through NSClient++. I am monitoring several Windows services, all successfully but this one. The console claims that MSSQLSERVER cannot be found.

Here is the Nagios service entry in the config file…

[define service{ use generic-service host_name service_description Microsoft SQL Server check_command check_nt!SERVICESTATE!-d SHOWALL -l MSSQLSERVER }

The NSClient++ config is pretty much default out of the box.

We are just, at this point, trying to monitor that the SQL database engine is running.

Any ideas on why this one service would not want to register as running?

[email protected]:/etc/nagiosql/hosts# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nt -H x.x.x.x -p 12489 -v SERVICESTATE -d SHOWALL -l MSSQLSERVER MSSQLSERVER: Not found [email protected]:/etc/nagiosql/hosts# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nt -H x.x.x.x -p 12489 -v SERVICESTATE -d SHOWALL -l "SQL SERVER (MSSQLSERVER)" SQL SERVER (MSSQLSERVER): Not found [email protected]:/etc/nagiosql/hosts# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nt -H x.x.x.x -p 12489 -v CLIENTVERSION NSClient++ 0,4,1,73 2012-12-17

I don’t get it, I have used Nagios through NSClient++ to monitor MS SQL before and had no issues.

I just upgraded to 4.3 and it still cannot see the MSSQLSERVER service as running…

Could this be caused by MSSQLSERVER server being run as a NT Server\MSSQLSERVER account?

Really? Is there anyone here?

I don’t know if you have figured this out or not, but have you tried to run it locally on the machine via “nscp test” ? What are the results?